John Wright Legal
Oikyn yn Waag
16 Willowbrook Gardens
Isle of Man
T: + 44 1624 611999
M: + 44 7624 494640
F: + 44 1624 627344
My complaints policy
I am committed to providing a high-quality legal service to all my clients. When something goes wrong, I need you to tell me about it. This will help me to improve my standards.
If you have a complaint, please contact me with the details. I would prefer that you put your complaint in writing (either by post or in electronic format and provided copies of any supporting documents) If you complain by phone I will make a file note of the call and send it to you for agreement that it is an accurate record of your complaint. I will ask that you countersign a copy and return it to me to record your agreement that I have understood your complaint correctly.
What will happen next?
1. I will send you a letter or e-mail acknowledging receipt of your complaint within three days of receiving it, enclosing a copy of this procedure. I will also send to you details of the IOM Law Society Conciliation procedure, Complaints procedure and the Isle of Man Advocates Disciplinary Tribunal pack containing instructions and forms.
2. I will then investigate your complaint. If your complaint is about a member of staff it will be investigated by me. If the complaint is about me I will review it initially to try and resolve it. This will normally involve reviewing your matter file, taking into account the facts set out in your complaint and any supporting documents you submit and if a staff member is involved speaking to the member(s) of staff who acted for or had contact with you.
3. I will then write to you within 10 days setting out my initial views and any proposals to resolve your complaint. If these are acceptable to you that will end the matter.
4. If my views and proposals are not acceptable to you have 10 days to request a meeting.
5. If you request a meeting I will then invite you to meet with me, to discuss, and hopefully resolve, your complaint. I will send you the invitation within 3 days of you requesting the meeting and the meeting will take place within 10 days of my sending the invite.
6. Within three days of the meeting, I will write to you to confirm what took place and what if any solutions I agreed with you.
7. If you do not want a meeting, or it is not possible, you may instead request in writing that I reconsider my original view, set out any additional grounds and your reasons for not accepting my views and proposals, and I will reconsider and will send you a detailed written reply to your complaint, including my further views and proposals or suggestions for resolving the matter, within 14 days of you sending to me the written request for reconsideration.
8. At this stage, if you are still not satisfied, you should contact me again and I will arrange within 7 days for Hazel Hammond of Smith Taubitz Unsworth or Aalish Hannan of Hannan Law, to be sent all of the papers and correspondence and to review them and to report to back to me within 14 days and to copy her report to you. I will let you know if I agree her findings and proposals within 7 days. If these are acceptable to us both that will end the matter.
9. If I do not agree with her findings and proposals I will write to you within 14 days of receiving them from her, confirming my final position on your complaint and explaining my reasons.
10. If you are still not satisfied, you can then contact the Isle of Man Law Society at 27 Hope Street Douglas Isle of Man T 01624 662910 F 679232 E email@example.com who offer a complaints resolution/conciliation service or the Clerk to the Advocates Disciplinary Tribunal, Tracey Brown, of the Probate and Tribunals Section, General Registry IOM Courts Deemsters walk Bucks Road Douglas Tracey.Brown@courts.im T 01624 687502.
If I have to change any of the timescales above, I will let you know and explain why. If you need any longer to comply with any time scale provided please let me know.
Please note in respect of fees, if we cannot agree you can ask the Law Society to assess my fees or you can ask the Court to assess fees in litigation matters only. Full details are set out on each fee note I send to you. Please note that there are strict time limits for these procedures.
If your complaint appears to allege negligence then these procedures may not be appropriate and the Law Society or the ADT may have no powers. In that case I shall advise you and may have to refer the matter to my insurers.
01 April 2013
Please note the following:
Whilst I still maintain a practising certificate as a solicitor for England and Wales I only accept instructions as an Isle of Man Advocate and member of the Manx Bar unless I have specifically agreed to act as an English Solicitor in writing and the case demands that I act in that capacity. Without my written agreement in my terms of engagement letter signed by both me and the client I will not be deemed to be acting as an English solicitor just by virtue of the fact that I advise on English law, or in relation to an English case or matter.
We have specifically agreed that you will not refer me to the Solicitors Regulation Authority for matters where I am acting solely as a Manx Advocate and where I am not acting as a solicitor.
If I have specifically agreed to act as a solicitor the same timetable will apply but you may be able to pursue matters further with the Legal Ombudsman in England if we cannot agree resolution at the end of the process.
0300 555 0333 or 0121 245 3050
Legal Ombudsman, PO Box 15870, Birmingham B30 9EB.
“My” or “I” or “me” refers to the Limited Liability Company John Wright Legal Consultant Limited and to John Wright Advocate as an individual and to any staff employed by John Wright Legal Consultant.